As 2012 glides into a well-deserved slumber, I can’t help but reflect on how the year has progressed for me. Some highlights, in no real order:
- We had a blast at Tony’s 35th birthday celebration in Las Vegas in June.
- I enjoyed a phenomenal conference at this year’s Joint Statistical Meetings in San Diego. Good conference, great location.
- I had lots of fun celebrating various birthdays this year with PPQ and the Good Doctor.
- Treks to Windsor and Joliet proceeded smoothly and enjoyably.
- I installed an air condition just before the summer started to sizzle.
- I replaced the tired old Ranger with a healthier, newer Jimmy.
- I weigh less at the end of 2012 than I did when the year started.
- I passed the FCC license exam for a technician-class radio license.
- I actually got out and did some creative photography. More than once, even.
- Our cigar and cocktail evenings have really blossomed into something great, thanks to a fabulous group of guys and the hospitality of Grand River Cigar.
- I got more private consulting clients and even earned some decent revenue for once — enough to ensure that I didn’t have to worry about the next paycheck.
- I did better this year at NaNoWriMo and made a lot of good friends as part of my participation with that crazy crew of creative cats.
- I went on a lovely day hike along the NCT in northern Newaygo County.
- I realized an astonishingly high personal rate of return on my 403(b) investment account and despite my late start planning for retirement, I’m actually pretty close to where the experts say I should be at this age.
So, it was a good year. I’m looking forward to 2013 — I have some good goals and a good foundation to build on.
May your own new year be filled with much love, happiness and success.