August, already? Cripes, where did the time go?
Been thinking a lot lately about priorities. The things that matter most to me, or are genuinely important, aren’t necessarily enjoying the lion’s share of my time — the Tyranny of the Urgent, and all that.
- Enjoyed the wedding reception for Gary and Jessica yesterday. Held at Jessica’s parental-unit home in Grass Lake. Great time. Traveled there with Other Jason (who drove) and Jen, our resident Adventure Heroine. Happily, Lianne/Stephen and Mary/Ben also showed up. It’s clear the bride and groom spent a lot of time fussing about details — the whole event came together nicely and, as they say, “a good time was had by all.”
- Tonight’s another board meeting for Caffeinated Press. Things are looking up; whispers of revenue tease us from across the autumnal divide. I’m wrapping up a textbook project today, then we have a few other items — including a very powerful collection of WW2 letters and a poetry collection — in the hopper. Should have two releases in September and two in October, plus one in November and one in January. Much-needed infusion of capital into a company currently funded by board members.
- Later this month, I’ll be in Seattle for the Joint Statistical Meetings. Nothing to present, for once — just a pair of section-officer meetings. Emma is going, too, and I think she’s going to get us reservations for dinner in the Space Needle. My little intern is all growed up. 🙂
- Enjoyed a great podcasting session with Tony and our friend John from PA last weekend. He was in the area for a conference, so he took the time to come to mid-Michigan. We dined, we drank, we enjoyed cigars at The Corona … good times.
- In mid-July, the maternal family trekked to Indiana for a cookout and poolside recreation. That was pleasant. Learned that my cousin Nicole is pregnant — yay! I’m trying to convince her to hold the baby a few extra days so she can be born on my birthday, but I don’t think Nicole finds the prospect especially appealing.
- Attended a day-long analytics conference in Mount Pleasant a few weeks ago. Hit-or-miss regarding content.