Wow. I haven’t posted in a month. Sorry about that.
- Weight loss 2.0 is proceeding in good order — as of this morning, I’m down 17 pounds since I started. Woohoo. Only 50 more to go. I’ve been pretty good about monitoring calories and doing at least 30 minutes of cardio most nights each week.
- I’ve been watching the reboot of Doctor Who, and I love it. Almost done with Series 2. Will probably do Torchwood next.
- Last Monday, I hosted an all-day, offsite retreat for my department. All eight of us spent the day at Casa de Jason. Ronda brought fillets (which Christian grilled to perfection); Pat brought asparagus; Pam brought potato salad; Keron brought Logan’s rolls. Shannon and Alaric brought themselves. We had a good time and got a lot accomplished.
- Last Sunday I invited my mom and grandmother over for dinner — lasagna, brownie and salad. We had fun, and Jess’s contributions were invaluable.
- Tony stopped by a while back; we had tasty cigars, yummy Uccello’s pizza and fine Scotch. Yay.
- Speaking of Scotch, my preferred purveyer of perfect spirits sold me an $84 bottle of Ballentine’s 17-years-old Scotch whisky. This is the exact same Scotch that Jim Murray — editor of the 2011 Whisky Bible and world-famous expert on the brown spirits — delcared the No. 1 whisky in the world. It compares favorably to the McCallan 30-year, which retails at $1,100 per bottle in Michigan. And let me tell you — sipping the Ballentine’s 17 is an almost orgasmic experience.
- I installed Windows 7 on my netbook, slipping away from Ubuntu Linux. I have access to an Exchange server, so I’m standardizing my entire networking platform (including a more robust homegroup) on Windows. Next, I’m going to dump my Samsung Epic, with its Android 2.2 OS, for a Windows Phone 7 from one of the carriers. Maybe I’ll finally drop Sprint, since the network in West Michigan has been erratic since January.
- I’m enjoying the shellacking Barack Obama has taken from Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu in recent days — whether it’s addressing the world with half-baked ideas about Israeli security or flubbing a toast to Queen Elizabeth, the president’s gaffes have been a source of constant amusement.
- I finally did finish one of the two planned bookshelves for my office. It’s 6′ tall, 4′ wide and 12″ deep, with 2×2 pillars between shelves to provide additional structural support. I like it; it looks good and is structurally stable.
- My poor truck is dying. Something with the transmission (or perhaps the torque converter) is on the fritz. Will probably need to get a new vehicle sometime this summer.
- Planning to be in Miami Beach in early August for a conference. Yay.
- Looking forward to celebrating Tony’s birthday tomorrow with Tony, Jen, Jon and Emilie. They are all staying in Grand Rapids, for once.